Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be Extraordinary

Cooney Crier

Week 3: Tayler Alden

Kami Berlin

We asked and you voted! This weeks winner of the ‘Athlete of the week’ poll is Tayler Alden! Tayler is a 14 year old freshman that plays for the varsity volleyball team at OHS. Tayler started playing volleyball at the age of seven and was immediately put on the varsity team just coming into high school.

She has not only been a great volleyball player but also someone who underclassman can look up to. Tayler has definitely proved herself in athletics, and even has a non stop volleyball schedule. “ My volleyball schedule is year round, I have high school volleyball, then right when that is finished I then play club volleyball which lasts about 6 months. Then during the summer I play sand volleyball and have many volleyball camps. After the summer the cycle starts all over again” Tayler stated.

Tayler has had many achievements in her volleyball career but one goal she is most proud of is making it to a state high performance team that went to the championships in Florida. “throughout all the teams, my team placed third” Tayler stated.

Tayler’s personal coaches throughout high school and club volleyball have been a great influence for volleyball. But Coach Kiraly, who coached for the women’s Olympic volleyball team has also had a great impact on Tayler. But coaches are not the only people Tayler looks up to. “ I also look up to Lauren Carlini, the Wisconsin volleyball setter. She inspires me to be the best setter I can be and try my hardest whenever I’m out on the court.” Tayler stated.

Tayler plans to not loose touch of her volleyball life, and has high hopes to play for a college team after high school. Coaching young volleyball players has also been a high interest for Tayler. “I do not have any regrets for joining volleyball, I am very happy with this sport, I am happy on how I am improving as a player, and am excited for what is to come in my volleyball career.” Tayler stated.

Cooney Criers twitter @cooneycrierocon sent out a poll asking who the athlete of the week should be. Out of 196 votes, 41% voted for Tayler. Congrats Tayler, keep up the good work!