Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be Extraordinary

Cooney Crier

Week 1: Alexis Craft

Kami Berlin

We asked and you voted! The winner of the ‘Athlete of the week’ poll is Alexis Craft! Alexis Craft is a 16 year old junior who is a swimmer for OHS varsity team, and fellow Cooney Crier reporter. Alexis started swimming at the age of eight and since then has taken swimming by storm, with being involved in not only the school swim team but the YMCA club team.

“I never really get a break from swim it’s a non-stop adventure, but I don’t regret any of my swimming career” Alexis stated. In the very beginning stages of swimming Alexis would swim more in breaststroke events, but today her star stoke is the Butterfly. Ever since her freshman year at the high school she has swam for the varsity team and each year has received the scholar athlete award. The scholar athlete award is only given to varsity athletes who have a 3.5 or above grade point average during duration of their sports season.

“Alexis is a great leader on the varsity team that not only helps out underclassman but continues to show her athleticism even after experiencing an injury that took her out of competition for awhile” fellow swimmer Carley Brenner argues. Swimming is definitely something that Alexis will be doing for years to come and she continues to learn things from the sport day after day.

Alexis’s day consists of morning practices followed by going to school, then off to practice right after school, not only does Alexis swim competitively but she works as a lifeguard at the YMCA. “She practically lives in the water, I swear Alexis eats, sleeps, and breaths swim, it’s non stop running just to get her to practices and meets” Jaquelynn Craft stated.

Some of Alexis’s personal best achievements in swimming are the 100 fly in 1:02.81 seconds, and the 200 fly in 2:23.01 seconds. “I have definitely improved since the very beginning stages of swim, but I definitely would not be able to get where I am without my teammates and coaches” Alexis stated.

Alexis continues to stand out from the crowd not only at the swimming pool, but at school. She has continuously received honors and high honors throughout her middle school and high school career. And with such great grades, Alexis hopes that when she graduates from high school she will go into business, but not loose touch of her swimming culture.