Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be Extraordinary

Cooney Crier

The Long Road of Dab Recovery

Andrew Sitter

“When I was going for it, I felt amazing, then all of a sudden I felt human skin,” said Brian Jacques, 17 of Oconomowoc High School. Jacques is a student athlete at the high school, and participates in track and cross country.

Last school year during the April track season, Jacques raced for his school in a meet at Oconomowoc High school. Jacques runs the mile and the two mile for the school. Once his event started Jaques got off to a big lead and never looked back. Participating in the two mile for this particular instance, and he was making the school proud by leading the pack at his home school.

It all went wrong though, as Jacques passed the finish line. He had dabbed as a celebration, yet hit the runner behind him. Unaware of his surroundings and the other runners closing in on his lead it ended up hurting him and the school because Jacques was disqualified from the race.

If Jaques would not have dabbed, the school would have won second place instead of third. This was tough on Jacques as he states, “I went to the locker room and felt really bad about it.”

Jacques was very emotional when bringing up the situation, and how he has recovered since then. Yet when asked about what he’s learned about the experience, he stated that he was more aware of his surroundings during races.

He also promised not to celebrate too early from now on to eliminate the possibility for these type of incidents. Jaques said, “I learned not to be a showboat anymore,” when asked about what that moment taught him.

Ever since that day Jaques has gone on to make quite a name for himself for the track and cross country team. Jacques has been setting personal records for both the mile and two mile, while also going to state for last year’s track season. He represented the school for whom he once failed.

Jacques said, “I like track more than cross, but they both are cool.” Jacques is very excited for track season as just the thought alone brought a smile to his face. No doubt there have been struggles for Jacques as he tries to suppress the urge of dabbing in everyday life.

When interviewed Jacques dabbed a total of four times, and said he was sorry after the third time. Jaques has set a hefty goal for himself as he plans to help other athletes fight the sudden urge to celebrate during races

“I wanna go to inner cities when I’m older, and teach the kids about dabbing,” Jacques said. Jacques reminisced back to his childhood, and said he wanted other students to show sportsmanship during races by teaching them early.

He fears that many other students like him with such talent will fall victim to unsportsmanlike conduct unless he talks to them about his personal experience. He remembered the exact words from the girls cross country coach, “Jacques you’re an idiot! That’s what coach Larson said.”

Jacques would love for this to not be a recurring action in the cross country and track events. Inspired from what that moment taught him he hopes to make state again this coming year.
This cross country season Jacques helped the team earn the final Wisconsin Little Ten Conference title. Brian earned top honors with the fastest time of 15 minutes and 54.2 seconds. Jaques has made huge strides in his cross country career, and now looks towards the Beloit Memorial Sectional at Leeson Park on Oct. 22.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Long Road of Dab Recovery”

1. Chris on October 17th, 2016 7:13 pm

I Loved the article that Andrew Sitter wrote! Very good lesson that was brought out in the story! Learn from your mistakes, remain positive and use it as a teaching tool for in the future. Great article Andrew keep up the Great work!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Long Road of Dab Recovery

Features

The Scoop On Baskerville

• The Long Road of Dab Recovery

Features

Making A Difference

• The Long Road of Dab Recovery

News

The Best Part Of The Year Can Be The Most Unhealthy

• The Long Road of Dab Recovery

Features

Inside Sindberg’s Studio

• The Long Road of Dab Recovery

Features

Stoneberg Sports Photos. The woman behind the camera.

• The Long Road of Dab Recovery

School News

All Students are Created Equal

• The Long Road of Dab Recovery

School News

The Disappearance of TWIRP

• The Long Road of Dab Recovery

Features

Staying off of your phone? There’s an app for that!

• The Long Road of Dab Recovery

School News

No More Sitting Ducks. New Lockdown Policy Intact.

• The Long Road of Dab Recovery

School News

Spanish Students Take a Trip of Their Lifetime

The Long Road of Dab Recovery