Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be Extraordinary

Cooney Crier

Week 1: FBLA

Alexis Craft

This weeks club of the week is FBLA.

On Friday October 14th, FBLA held a blood drive at Oconomowoc High School. They have two blood drives every year, one in the fall and one in the spring. Many people at Oconomowoc high school volunteered to give blood on Friday, there were about 90 registered donors for the blood drive, which helped to save up to 194 lives!

FBLA donated the blood to the Bloodcenter of Wisconsin. The Bloodcenter of Wisconsin has strived for more than 65 years to provide a safe supply of blood to hospitals. They help to advance patient care and scientific understanding.

According to Naomi Wolf, the blood drive director of FBLA, they received 59 whole blood donations, 8 dual red cell donations, and 1 single red cell donation.

About 25 FBLA members volunteered to run this event which consisted of going around to classrooms before the event to raise awareness for the event, working at the sign-up table during one lunch, and helping out on the actual day.

Every year FBLA has between 75 and 85 people give blood at the blood drive. And because they have two blood drives per year that means that about 160 people donate blood yearly which means that FBLA is helping save approximately 350 lives.

“I personally aim to be able to donate blood, however this fall I wasn’t eligible due to my trip to the Caribbean over spring break. Hopefully I will be able to donate at the spring blood drive.” Naomi Wolf stated.

In addition to the blood drive, FBLA also runs events throughout the community such as, middle and high school dodgeball tournaments, adopt-a-school around Christmas time, crush can sales around Valentine’s day, and much more. Also FBLA competes in regional, state, and national competitions. The competitions are focused on business related topics in both performance and test based events.

Congratulations to FBLA!