Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be Extraordinary

Cooney Crier

All Students are Created Equal

Lauren Kellerman

Someone’s always smarter than you, or so you think. But does that get them further in high school? Not when it comes to AP and IB classes at Oconomowoc High School. Many classes are offered in high school requiring you to pay a large amount of money, but research shows that no matter the amount of money you have, there’s always a way.

“Oconomowoc High School has many different options to choose from if you do not have the money to pay for these courses,  we will provide some form of financial help so the students can better themselves with these challenging courses,” said Carrie Schultz, the AP and IB director at Oconomowoc High School. “No student will be left behind.”

Oconomowoc High School students are required to pay anywhere from $100 to $1000 on fees for AP and IB classes, both college level courses, possibly giving you college credit if the tests are passed with a high enough score.  

“We have many different opportunities for students to take these courses if they aren’t financially capable, ranging from eligibility for free lunch plans giving the chance to take the courses for free, to personally discussing payment plans with guidance counsellors,” said Schultz.

If a student is not financially capable to pay for these courses, Oconomowoc High School will always find a way to give these students a chance to push themselves in these advanced courses.

“We will not let a student be left out of advanced courses solely because they can not afford it, there will be something we can work out with them,” said Schultz.

Students aren’t normally the ones paying for their classes, which puts a lot of pressure on parents to pay for these classes,  parents have more than one child enrolled in high school, making the total for their course fees add up to $2000 or more.

Many students are eligible for free lunch plans, giving them a great opportunity to possibly get their fees waived, no matter how many students require the free classes, Oconomowoc High School wants every child to expand their knowledge.

Guidance counselors can also give a child the opportunity to pass the fees for classes if the student’s situation has personally been discussed with their counselor.  

Students are also able to get their course fees paid for if they are eligible for the free lunch program.

“If a student is not eligible for the free lunch program, but have personal financial issues within their family, they can discuss this with their guidance counselor and possibly get their fees covered,” said Schultz.  

Oconomowoc High School provides a few different opportunities to allow kids to better themselves if they or their parents are not financially capable to pay up to $1000 for testing and course fees, giving any child the chance to become the best student they can be, no matter the money their family has.

OHS understands not all families have the same income, giving any child an opportunity to be equal despite the amount of money they have. It is comforting knowing money does not set you apart within the school.