Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be Extraordinary

Cooney Crier

The Becoming Necessity of a Girls Athletic Locker Room

Sarah Jacobson

There have been many opportunities for Oconomowoc High School to build a girls athletic locker room but it seems it hasn’t taken advantage of them.

As the school’s athletics continue to grow it seems that the missing athletic locker room is becoming more of a problem. The high school has built brand new athletic fields with the gracious help of the booster club. According to the president of the booster club Terry Brandl, “The booster club has currently funded for a new building to help store athletic equipment by the stadium.” But where is the planning or funding for a girls athletic locker room?

Oconomowoc Athletic director Kevin Flegner stated in an interview, “It has been talked about and this has been a high priority item, and it was discussed in the referendum that was started 2-3 years ago.” So, this topic has been brought up and talked about again, though the girls locker room remains the same as it stands with Varsity, JV, Freshman athletics and Phy Ed classes all sharing the same space. The guys currently have a separate locker room for Varsity, JV and Freshman athletics and then Phy Ed classes.

The high school has 27 different sports. Out of these 27 sports there are more female sports than there are male, but there are more male athletes then there are female. As the population continues to climb, the participation in many of these sports will also climb. There are also the Physical Education classes. Three classes of Phy Ed are required to graduate and all those classes use the locker room and lockers to hold their stuff while they are taking them.

“We have to build not just one locker room but new locker rooms because both of the locker rooms, girls and boys are outdated and have poor ventilation and the lockers are undersized,” said Flegner.

There is a federal law called Title IX, it states that “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” This means that female athletics and male athletics get the same benefits regardless, which means that the girls should have the same size locker room as the boys and the same benefits they do.

The Boosters collaborate with the Athletic Director who meets with each sports program to come up with a list of necessities which are put from highest priority to least. “Everything is based on need, not singling out any one program,” said Brandl. A locker room is not singling out one program and is a huge need.