Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be Extraordinary

Cooney Crier

“Ballstars” Win Oconomowoc High School’s Annual Dodgeball Tournament

DJ Ah Sam

Every year in early March, the annual dodgeball tournament is held at Oconomowoc High School. Teens at the high school of any grade are allowed to compete in the dodgeball tournament, as long as they have at least two girls on a team and six players total. From there, players in their groups can make a team name, (as long as it’s appropriate) and discuss on the outfits to wear at the tournament.

In the 2016 Oconomowoc FBLA Dodgeball Tournament, one team emerged victorious, and there seemed to be no team that could even give them a competitive game. The team that won it all was known as the “Ballstars”.    

After going a total of 16-0 in Oconomowoc High School’s Annual Dodgeball Tournament, (9-0 in pool play and 7-0 in tournament play) the Ballstars took first place out of the eleven other teams.

The six players that were on the Ballstars were Tony Mahlberg, Tyler Benz, Jake Ryan, Brett Samson, Mariah De La Barra, and Jaz Trudeau.

Throughout each game, it was obvious to see that there was no team that could match up to the Ballstars caliber players.

With players who can sling the dodgeball on the offensive side like Tyler Benz and Brett Samson, and the rest of the team who can catch the ball and keep feeding the dodgeballs to Benz and Samson, it’s no wonder how they won.

“Our mindset going into these games were to play as a team.” Jaz Trudeau said.             “We made sure we gave the dodgeballs to our two best players who could really throw the ball.”

On the defensive side of dodgeball, the players that stood out were Tony Mahlberg and Brett Samson.In the sixteen games played, both Mahlberg and Samson managed to only get out for a combined total of five outs! (Samson was hit out twice and Mahlberg was hit out three times). Also, both managed to catch a large portion of dodgeballs thrown at them.

“As soon as our team played our first dodgeball game for pool play, I knew we were going to make it in the finals for sure, and most likely win it all.” Samson said. “We all had a lot of experience playing dodgeball, considering we like to get together once in awhile and head over to Sky Zone to play.”

When discussed about who was the most valuable player on the team (MVP), it became apparent that it was none other than Brett Samson. When asked why he deserves mvp, most of the team replied that he got a lot of people out and caught almost every ball that was thrown at him.

“I think Brett deserves to be mvp because of how much of a beast he was out there. Brett got so many people out during the dodgeball tournament and caught just about every ball that was thrown at him with ease. Also, he rarely got out and that really helped our team in some games.” Jaz Trudeau said.   

It is easy to understand why the Ballstars dominated every team in the dodgeball tournament. With players that are not only confident within themselves, but with each other, and also understand their role in the team in order for them to be successful, this team knows the way as to how to win games as a team.