Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be Extraordinary

Cooney Crier

Oconomowoc Captains Anticipate Successful Track Season

By: DJ Ah Sam

As the track season nears for Oconomowoc High School,  senior captains: John Binns, Spencer Waldron, and Abby Duchow are excited about what is to come for their team.

Last season, Oconomowoc,  went to state for the mile, the 4 by 800, and the high jump.  They ultimately placed in each of the events.

On the throwing side of track and field, John Binns, who participates in shotput and discus, believes that this season will be the road to state for him.  Last year, Binns made it to sectionals, resulting in him being one place behind qualifying for state.  

“I’ve been doing offseason workouts for track ever since the start of my freshman year. I’ve put a lot of work into this sport and hope to achieve my goal of going to state out,” said Binns. Binns has been in track since 5th grade and has been doing the same events of shotput and discus ever since.

Spencer Waldron, another captain,  has a  lengthy height of 6 feet 2 inches. Waldron high jumps and runs the 100 meter hurdle dash. Last year, Waldron made it as far as sectionals for hurdles, being two places behind qualifying for state as a junior.

“I really have to thank my coaches for how far I’ve come. I was one of those kids that felt like they didn’t really fit in for any event. That was until they made a suggestion of trying out hurdles, and I was like, ‘Sure.’”

Waldron is not only confident about himself within hurdles, but he believes that the whole team will be able to take conference this year. “The whole team has been working their tails off this offseason and we all share one goal together: getting a conference title.”

While Binns prepares for shot put and discus, and  Waldron prepares for 100 meter hurdles and high jump, senior captain Abby Duchow is preparing for the 4 by 200.

“Usually for workouts, my teammates and I, run for a couple miles and practice some short sprints. Then, we finish working out by lifting in the PDC.” (Physical Development Center). Duchow also plans to make it to state for the 4 by 200, after last years falling in sectionals.

“We’ve really been working hard, since this is our last year in track and field,” said Duchow. She has not only been working out with her teammates for the 4 by 200, but she has also started working with the underclassman as well.

“It’s important for the underclassman to understand what it means to be grinding it out in the offseason in order to be successful during the season.”

With the season coming closer each day, it will be exciting to watch Oconomowoc make a run in the WLT conference 2016.